Absolutely tired of a handful of almonds as your snack? Do you feel like you’re missing out on tasty treats this holiday season as you try to stay on your weight loss journey? Our Weigh to Wellness team in Birmingham, AL gets it, which is why we offer premade snacks, foods, and beverages that can fill you up, keep you on your weight loss track, and taste good all at the same time. If you’re looking for other snack ideas, especially for the holidays, we’ve compiled a few here for you to try out! Keep in mind that these aren’t necessarily free of sugar, carbs, or fats, but are a much better alternative to a brownie or a plate full of chips and dip.
Chocolate-dipped Orange Slices
- 1/4 c. melted semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 5 mandarin oranges, peeled and divided into segments
- Flaky sea salt, for garnish
- Stir together melted chocolate and coconut oil.
- Dip each clementine segment into melted chocolate and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Garnish with flaky sea salt.
- Refrigerate until firm, 20 minutes.
- 4 Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 3/4 c. caramel, warmed
- 1 c. chopped pretzels
- A sprinkle of dark chocolate chips (optional)
- On a large plate, arrange apple slices on top of one another.
- Drizzle with half the caramel, then top with pretzels and chocolate chips.
- Drizzle with remaining caramel.
- Serve immediately.
- 2 cups chopped dried figs
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a large saucepan, combine figs and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is almost evaporated, 12-14 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add wine; cook 6-8 minutes longer or until liquid is almost evaporated, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat; stir in honey, lemon zest and salt. Cool slightly. Process in a food processor until blended. Transfer to covered jars; refrigerate up to 1 week.
This fig jam pairs well with small pieces of cheese, fruit, and/or bagel crisps.
While these sound like delicious sweet treats, what about salty options for those who are trying to avoid the chips and dip? Here are a few recipes to satisfy that salty craving guilt-free:
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika and pepper
- Cooking spray
- Marinara or spaghetti sauce, warmed
Cut zucchini into 3×1/2×1/2-in. pieces. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg white. In another shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and seasonings. Dip zucchini in egg white, then roll in flour mixture.
Place zucchini on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; spray with additional cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Serve with marinara sauce.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen edamame pods
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Place edamame in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook until tender, 4-5 minutes; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the seasonings; toss to coat.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
Preheat oven to 400°. Line a 15x10x1-in. baking sheet with foil. Pat dry chickpeas and in a single layer over foil, removing any loose skins. Bake until very crunchy, 40-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together remaining ingredients. Remove chickpeas from oven; let cool 5 minutes. Drizzle with oil mixture; shake pan to coat. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
We hope you enjoy these tasty recipes this holiday season and beyond! No matter the time of year, Weigh to Wellness in Birmingham, AL is here to help you achieve your weight loss goals. As we mentioned before, we offer prepackaged healthy snacks, foods, and beverages if you don’t want to (or don’t have time to) make your own. They’re also a great way to keep up with exact nutritional values if you need a strict, set meal regimen for any length of time. Contact us to get started or to get help on your weight loss journey!